Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Adventures in Crockpot Cooking: Burmese Curry

So I was gifted with a Crockpot a ways back, and I was a little unsure how to make best use of this crafty culinary machine. It kinda of seems like something that can only be used to create a stew of some kind. Lo-and-behold, my first attempt of Crockpot cooking was none other than the legendary vegetarian chili. Scrumdidiliumptious. This is when I realized that the gift of the Crockpot is that you can make something delicious for $10 and then eat it for a week straight! A metaphorical Jesus figure for the monetarily disadvantaged! And Crockpot cooking can really be extended to really any sort of saucy dish. And so my curry was birthed. I based this beauty on a Burmese egg and okra curry from one of my new favorite restaurants, Burma Superstar. Of course, my idea of referencing a dish is having at least 45% of the same ingredients (omg, it's almost like Taco Bell....). Basically, I fried up a bunch of onions, garlic, carrots, jalapenos and other assorted peppers, fresh ginger and spices and then pureed it and threw in the Crockpot with bell peppers, tomatoes, a bunch of coconut milk, more spices (mostly cayenne, tumeric, chili powder, pepper and salt) and some okra. Apparently the key to okra is laying it out to dry on paper towel for 30 minutes to avoid sliminess. It's my new goal to try and use as many of the vegetables at my local markets as possible. And it might be a lofty one since I have zero idea what to do with a durian or a bitter melon! Oooh. And I also cracked two eggs right into the Crockpot and let them cook with the curry = delish! Finally, I sauteed some mushrooms with butter and threw that in towards the end. All in all, a very successful dish. And perfect for the wonders of the Crockpot! Who knows what else I'll cook up.....literally!








The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Gordita Supreme Court
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

No comments:

Post a Comment