Friday, November 19, 2010

Fajita Fiesta

Ahhhh, fajitas. I know that it's overly dramatic to say that I live or die by fajitas, but some days it certainly feels true. If everyone has that one sure-fire staple, the food you can eat day in and day out, then staple me with fajitas baby. They are just so.....delicious....and cheap.....and easy (an excellent combination in many situations)....and delicious....and surprisingly healthy. At least, that's what I tell my stomach. I'm mostly a veggie girl myself: throw in some diced bell peppers, squash, onions, and you have yourself a bonafide vegetarian dinner. But as with all good things, the gloriousness of fajitas comes in the mix-n-match. This picture, for example, is a result of an evening of meat sharing (another wonderful activity) between myself and the roomie. Our ingredients combined and wahla! a delicious fried chicken fajita feast. I also have been known to enjoy carrots, potatoes and even green beans in my fajitas, although the bells are pretty much a requirement. Let's see....what else do you need? Oh yes, Masa is definitely the way to go here people. It may seem scary, but the whole making-fresh-tortillas thing actually is mostly painless. You buy the Masa flour from Safeway (or the like) and mix it with water and some salt. Once it is a dough that is not sticking to your fingers, flatten it out on a piece of plastic wrap and throw it into the frying pan. Presto! (I'm digging the magician theme today...). Cheese and avocado top me off, but I recommend sprinkling all sorts of things on top of that puppy. Fajitas are the neverending gift! The best part is, the tortillas last in the fridge for like a week. And any God-Fearing American knows all the wonderful things that can result from a tortilla!




And yes.....that's a Mexican magician.

No comments:

Post a Comment