Friday, November 5, 2010

Panqueques

I've been encouraged to expand my food posts to those articles which can be prepared and consumed by the humble student with little money and no time to trek across the city for delicious food. So here I am, ready to share my most secret and delicious of personal grad-school recipes with you. I'll start off with a glorious Ecuadorian delicacy, a recipe I learned while living with a family in Bahia de Caraquez, a coastal city. These are panqueques, quite literally "pancakes." In contrast to the U.S. style, Ecuadorian panqueques are savory and can be eaten at any time of day. They are also perfect for fulfilling cravings for fried foods, and they can be transported, reheated and many other useful verbs that make them, overall, quite a wonderful thing. You make them just like regular pancakes: flour, sugar, salt, egg, dash of oil, a bit of milk, and water to texture. If you're feeling especially lazy or out of ingredients, you can actually just use boxed pancake mix. There's no shame. Then you add the cheese. In Ecuador, they have a special Farmer's cheese that is super salty and comes in little chunks sold in bags. While there are many queso granjeros through which to sort at my neighborhood groceria, I have found that often the easiest and safest cheese route is through the land of feta. Any kind will do. I've been buying the cheap "domestic feta" at about $6 a pound. So then you crumble in the cheese, oh delicious cheese. Throw some vegetable oil in the pan and commence frying! The rest should be easy. I recommend a dash of salt on top, although the possibilities really are endless. Speaking of which....I left a couple of panqueques in the pan and I'm thinking of heading back into the kitchen. Or as the Rangers would say (no..don't boo! not those Rangers!), "leave no man behind." And....break.

No comments:

Post a Comment